Friday, February 20, 2015

Northwest Flower and Garden Show: Shopping for Garden Glory

We have come to the shopping portion of my blog series on the Northwest Flower and Garden ShowA salute to the garden centers gifts that we all love to buy.

It's almost March and we all need new seeds, right? How could anyone resist this candy-colored display of possibility? Renee's Garden seed are beautiful and dependable. My mom loves them when she does a "study in nasturtiums."

And you've heard about what I've done with empty Renee's Garden seed packets, right? I like to re-purpose them into super cute business card holders. If I didn't, I'd only see them when I was planting and that is not often enough. 
Molbak's Garden had the sense to sell eye candy (cyclamen plants) and real candy bars in the same display. And I can see from their website that they have a CAFE! Now that is a business after my own heart. It brings back great memories of going to lunch at a garden center with my mom and her best friend in northern Michigan. I can't wait to spend some quality time at Molbak's Garden.
I'm pretty sure it was the Strong Marketing booth, where I saw this beautiful deep purple garden hose by My Garden Hose Reinvented. I don't particularly need a new garden hose, but the rich color made me want one. Do you feel that way too?
My favorite item in the Ravenna Gardens booth were the cement teacup and saucer. They are stacked on top of each other on the right side of the table. I would love to have johnny-jump-ups blooming through the moss foam.

Who else made a big impression on me? Impwear Home. Tracy Krauter has designed a gorgeous line of bags, aprons and tablecloths MADE IN SEATTLE of laminated cotton. The items have a streamlined design, and use strong colors or charming prints to grab your attention. The best part about the company is the fact that the products are made from a hard-to-find material: laminated cotton. You simply do not run across laminated cotton products in the marketplace and laminated cotton is WONDERFUL. It wipes clean; it's water resistant and this allows the beauty and color of fabric items be more front and center in your busy life. Can I get an amen? I bought a darling tote in the "vintage" print (cream with goldfinches, butterflies and Emma Bridgewater-style lettering) and I can't wait to carry it all over Seattle.

Okay. Now the show hosts 350 vendors! Even I can't shop that much. I've focused on a few standouts but you really should peruse the complete list here. You can even shop online (via the website links) for the items you already regret not purchasing at the show. You're welcome.

No comments: